Friday, April 3, 2009

Creative Soul

Sewing, crafting and writing are always good for my soul. Whenever I feel down in the dumps, I sit at my keyboard, or pick up some fabric or beads (or both) and my troubles take a backseat in my mind.

After starting yesterday with a sad post, I began work on reconstructing a vintage hippie-chic skirt. The waistband on the skirt was so tiny, I don't think it would have worked for a 10 year old. I studied and pondered (yes, pondered) and decided to cut the top 18" off the skirt. I made a channel for a drawstring and sewed in some nice, sturdy buttonholes. To add a little pizazz, I beaded the ends of the drawstring before knotting them.

What do you think?















Here's a close-up of the beads:

I forgot to mention that the beads are from a vintage necklace I've had laying around forever. Most are wooden, but there are a couple of darkened silver tone discs on there, as well.

I love this skirt. The purples and blues are so Spring-y! I'm going to list it on Etsy, but I'll definitely make another for myself!

And now, I'm off to reconstruct the top part of the skirt. It's going to be a child's ruffled, twirly skirt. Cute, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment